Its the dawn of a new season and there’s nothing like experimenting with some new combinations of fresh, healthy, organic, green vegetables for a delectable combination of soups! I simply love soups – veg soups, chicken coups, clear soups, green soups and more soups! …and no, I do not mean the pre-packaged and canned soups, only home made fresh soups. I’ve been looking up some easy to prepare, healthy green soup recipes and found a really interesting spring pea soup recipe here. Ever since, I’ve been dying to recreate the soup in my own way.
My soup includes one of my favorite green vegetables which is spinach with a touch of a little coconutty flavor ( coconuts are my new favorites and their health benefits are just numerous…be it coconut water, butter or coconut oil). It also includes one of my favorite go-to herbs – mint and thyme! The earthy, mildly pungent flavor of thyme adds in a completely new twist to this green delish delight.
I used a vegetable stock pack that contains carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, spices and garlic. All the ingredients are organic and low sodium. If you like preparing your own home made vegetable stock, awesome! The vegetables and spices mentioned above make for a great combination in terms of health and taste.
We loved this soup and served it with some multi grain toasts topped with garlic paste. Simple, delicious and so full of health. This soup made for a great early supper and our bodies sure embraced the nutrients!
Here’s what you need:
2 cups of fresh frozen peas
1 cup spinach
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic paste
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1-2 stems of organic thyme (any other herb of your choice)
Salt to taste
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
2 tbsp coconut oil (1 tbsp extra)
Here’s what you do:
1) Take a pan and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add onions. Add garlic paste and sauté the onions until tender (cook on medium heat for about 5-7 mins).
2) Add vegetable stock and water and wait till the mixture comes to a boil.
3) Add in the peas. Let it cook for about 2-3 mins till they are soft and then add in the spinach and the thyme stems. Let the mixture cook for another 2-3 mins.
4) Add salt, pepper, paprika/chilli powder and mint leaves and mix well. Let the flavors blend together. Carefully take out the thyme stems using a spatula and pull out the leaves. (The leaves would have become soft and easy to pull out by now. The stems can be thrown away).
5) Add the mixture into a blender and add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. ( You can skip the oil if you aren’t a fan of the coconutty flavor).
6) Blend for about a minute till the mixture is thick and creamy. Taste the mixture to adjust for the spices and salt.
7) Serve and enjoy !!
Do let me know how it went for you guys.