I have been hunting for a recipe that includes a lot of nuts, seeds, oats and my favorite ingredient coconut oil! I have been hearing so much about the wonders of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and I was grappling with including an array of nuts and seeds into my everyday diet. My favorite seeds were chia seeds until I discovered this lovely pecan granola recipe here. This recipe, with a little twist of my own, includes all the delicious and healthy nuts and seeds in one container and a handful of this granola is sufficient to meet your nutrient requirements which we seek to receive through these nuts and seeds.
First let me give you a brief description of the health benefits of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Sunflower seeds are great for cancer prevention, good bone health, youthful and glowing skin. It is also very good for the heart as it reduces bad cholesterol and also has anti-inflammatory benefits. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of anti-oxidants and help control diabetes, cancer, stress, heart diseases and are also a rich source of protein!
Now coming back to the recipe, I simply loved the nutty, crunchy and cinnamony flavors this recipe is endowed with. It’s a great addition to sprinkle on toasts, cereal, salads, oatmeal or just served by itself in a cup to enjoy its delicious flavors.
Here’s what you need:
1. 1/2 cup almonds
2. 1/2 cup walnuts
3. 1/2 cup pistachios
4. 1/2 cup pecans
5. 1 cup sunflower seeds
6. 1 cup pumpkin seeds
7. 1/2 cup flax seeds and chia seeds mixed
8. 1/2 cup oats
9. 3 tbsp coconut oil
10. 3 tbsp maple syrup
11. 2 tsp cinnamon powder
Here’s what you do
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
1. Combine all the nuts – almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans and blend for about 15-20 secs ( I preferred pulsing them to ensure they do not become too powdery).
2. Take this mixture and add the seeds and oats to it in a mixing bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate pan heat the coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon and mix well until it bubbles.
4. Add this sweet paste to the nuts and seeds mixture and mix really well. Make sure every morsel is enriched with the flavor of this sweet paste to make for a delicious combination.
5. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 mins and keep stirring the mixture in intervals of 10-12 mins.
I hope you enjoy this home made, chemicals free granola!