I love preparing soups! They are simple to prepare, light and easy on the digestive system and so delicious if you use the right blend of flavors.
This spinach soup recipe is my current favorite. I first found the recipe here and found the ingredients to be quite interesting. I tweaked the recipe a bit to my liking and I particularly love the mix of indian flavors and spices used in this recipe. I also love the parmesan cheesy flavor brought out by the garnishing mixed with some crushed pepper.
I love having this soup for dinner specially mid week just to ease my system off a little bit, or even after a heavy weekend. It’s great as a meal substitute and it really fills me up.
Here’s what you need:
1) 3 cups washed and chopped spinach leaves
2) 1/4 cup chopped onions
3) 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
4) 1 tsp cumin seeds
5) 1 tbsp gram flour (besan)
6) 2 cups organic vegetable broth / 2 cups water
7) 1 tbsp garlic paste
8) 1 bay leaf
9) 1 tbsp coconut oil /olive oil
10) 1.5 tbsp sour cream
11) Salt & pepper to taste
12) Parmesan cheese for garnishing
Here’s what you do
1) Heat the coconut oil/olive oil in a pan and add the bay leaf once the oil is hot. Cook for a few seconds.
2) Add some cumin seeds and garlic paste and cook for about a minute.
3) Add the chopped onions and cook till the onions are soft. Add in the tomatoes and stir the mixture well. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
4) Now add the spinach and the gram flour. Keep stirring the mixture and the spinach leaves will start wilting.
5) Pour the vegetable broth and leave the mixture to boil. Stir occasionally and let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the salt and pepper.
6) Turn off the flame and let the soup cool for a few minutes. Now pour the mixture into a blender and blend for about a minute. Keep checking for consistency of the soup and you can add some water if you want the consistency to be thinner. You can also check for salt and pepper and adjust the taste accordingly.
7) Pour the soup back into the pan to heat it for about 4-5 minutes on medium flame. Add the sour cream and stir until it blends well into the soup.
8) Serve into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese and crushed pepper.